History of Thanksgiving

The English Colonist and the Wampanoag Indians celebrating the first successful harvest at Plymouth in year 1621.

Ayarri Minor, Writer

The first Thanksgiving was celebrated by English Settlers and Wampanoag Indians in year 1621, at Plymouth. In November, the Pilgrims’ had their first prosperose corn harvest, Governor William Bradford planned a fest to celebrate the success. He invited the Native American Allies to join. There is no record of what was on the first Thanksgiving menu, but we do know there was lobster, swan, and seal. And of course corn!

How did Thanksgiving become a holiday? Well, in 1863 President Abraham  Lincoln made a national Thanksgiving Day to be held each November. Every last Thursday in November to be exact. “Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens.” -Abraham Lincoln

What is the meaning of Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving is different, and means different to everyone across the world. Some people don’t even celebrate Thanksgiving. But what is the true meaning of Thanksgiving? The meaning of Thanksgiving is the expression of gratitude-the nature of being thankful. We spend time with our family on this day and have a great feast with loved ones we haven’t seen in ages. That is one of biggest treats of Thanksgiving. After the big feast families usually engage in activities. For example, my family usually sits around reminisce, eats dessert, and just has a good time.

Here are some interesting facts about Thanksgiving you might of not known. First, We all say “gobble gobble” when referring to turkeys. But only male turkeys, toms, gobble. Female turkeys, hens, cackle. Second, we always blame turkey for making us sleepy after we eat it, but really the truth is it’s not the culprit. When we stuff ourselves eating good food on Thanksgiving, our bodies use a lot of energy to digest this food. If we really had a food to blame for making us sleepy, chicken would be our culprit. Chicken has more tryptophan than turkey.

Extra information credited to History.com