Netflix Corner: American Horror Story

A picture of the American Horror Story logo from the most recent season

A picture of the American Horror Story logo from the most recent season "Cult". source: www.goldderby.com

Andrea Abney, Writer

The horror series American Horror Story was created and produced by two men named Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk. Each season, most cast members change throughout the series except for a few. Actresses Sarah Paulson and Lily Rabe and actor Evan Peters are the only three cast members that have appeared in every season in the American Horror Story series. Other well-known actresses and actors such as Angela Bassett, Kathy Bates, Dylan McDermott and Jessica Lange have also made appearances on the famous horror series.

Each season of the series is set in different places around the country that are based on real life events that have taken place in the past. The series usually starts filming in early October and finishes filming in late January, except for season six that filmed in the middle of September and ended in the middle of November.  Some places around the United States that the American Horror Story seasons has filmed in are Los Angeles, New Orleans, Florida, North Carolina, Michigan and Massachusetts.

American Horror Story has new interesting themes each season. Some of the themes that the series has used in the past seasons are, an asylum for the criminally insane in the 1960’s time period that focuses on the stories of the patients that stay there, a freak show in the south during the 1950’s time period, which is one of the few remaining freak shows that are left in the United States. A murder house in Los Angeles that consists of ghosts of victims from the previous owners that lived there that terrorize a small family of three, a supernatural hotel that follows the stories of the staff that works there and guests that stay there and a coven that takes place in a residence called Buckner Mansion who wants to destroy any person who tries to take the coven down. The newest season’s theme is based on a cult that terrorizes a suburb after the 2016 U.S election.

Many teens and adults binge watch this horror series. It provides the audience with a good scare and a little bit of comic relief as well. A student’s opinion about the series is: American Horror Story is an adequate way of showing supernatural experiences.”  This Netflix series is very popular to Spotsylvania High School. The series also receives very positive ratings from around the country and over one million people watch it.