Netflix Corner: House of Cards

A picture of Francis and Claire Underwood, two of the main characters from the Netflix series House of Cards
Source: www.theatlantic.com

A picture of Francis and Claire Underwood, two of the main characters from the Netflix series House of Cards Source: www.theatlantic.com

Andrea Abney, Writer

The Netflix series House of Cards was created by Beau Williamson. It is based on the novel of the same name by author Michael Dobbs and the nineties BBC ministries with the same name.

House of Cards is a political thriller/drama that stars Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright, Kate Mara, Corey Stoll, Michael Kelly and Kristen Connolly. The series started filming in 2013. The show consists of five seasons and has aired sixty-five episodes on Netflix and is filmed in Baltimore, Maryland and is set in Washington, D.C.

The series is based on corruption and scandal in the government. The main character is a man named Francis Underwood who is a Democratic American congressman who was the 46th president of the United States from 2014 which ended by him resigning in 2017. After his presidency Francis was promised a position as the Secretary of State but was denied, but at the end of season one Francis is on the verge to becoming vice president and ends up becoming the new president of the United States at the end of season two due to the past president resigning.

Francis and his wife Claire practices scandal, dishonesty, manipulation, has affairs, makes side deals, and even murders a few people to try to get to the top. Claire, who is a scheming, cold-hearted woman who runs the Clean Water Initiative or “CWI” and uses it to her advantage to gain power and influence to bask in her husband’s spotlight of the political field, but eventually, Claire is let go from the CWI. The couple climb the political ladder together to get revenge on the people who betrayed Francis and for them to both have more power.

In late 2017, the filming of the sixth season of House of Cards was stopped due to the sexual allegations that were made towards actor Kevin Spacey. On November 3rd 2017, Spacey was fired from the show. Netflix then announced that “House of Cards” will air the sixth and final season in 2018 and have a total of thirteen episodes.

This show would be enjoyable for students that are into politics and drama related shows. I’m not a huge fan of watching shows about the government, but the plot of each season of House of Cards and how the actors and actresses portray their character in the show makes the series more interesting. This is a great show that I would recommend to all of my friends and even my family to watch.

Extra information credited to imdb.com