The Peyton Randolph House

Celina Russell

David M. Doody/Colonial Williams
Peyton Randolph House. Fall 2012 stock; Photo courtesy of www.makinghistorynow.com

The Peyton Randolph house, located in Williamsburg, Virginia, was deemed the most haunted place in this historic state because of its many hauntings from beyond the grave.

Built in 1715 by Peyton Randolph, the first president to the Continental Congress, this estate had and lost around thirty hosts and guests, either by freak accidents, fatal wounds, or natural causes, the house also served as a civil war hospital where many soldiers more than likely drew their last breath.

Of all the ghosts that may or may not walk the halls of this large estate there are only five of them are seen most often. The most active apparition is a former Confederate soldier that caught a fatal illness while attending the College of William and Mary. Later in time ,two men met their untimely deaths over a heated argument. Another common apparition is that of a small boy who died after suddenly falling from a tall tree that was on the premises. Coincidentally, a short period after the death of the boy a little girl fell from the second story window of the room she was currently staying in, it is said that you can see shadows dancing on the walls of the second floor almost like the little girl continues to play there to this day.

Along with apparitions and strange noises ringing through this titanic house, there have also been record of tourists getting sick, passing out, or other medical issues in or around the premises. This happens every month with no explanation. Could it be the work of a raging spirit? Or just a freak accident? There’s only one way to find out.