Health Hacks: Staying Warm

Lauren Keesecker, Writer, Print Layout

A fire burning on a cold winter night.
Photo Courtesy to Duluth Stove and Fireplace

Health Hacks: Staying Warm

It’s time to bundle up in coats and scarves because it’s that time of year! Winter is a beautiful season, but that means that it’s going to start getting cold. No one likes to be cold because it’s irritating and downright uncomfortable. Fortunately, there are a few ways to stay warm throughout the season.

Putting on warmer clothing

This hack may seem obvious, but it’s true! Putting on warmer clothes will definitely increase your body temperature. If you’re already wearing the warmest clothing you own, add another layer on top of that to be warm and cozy.

Drink a warm liquid

It is a known fact that liquids like coffee and hot chocolate will make your body temperature rise, so take advantage of that, and stock up on them. If coffee and hot chocolate aren’t your thing, you can try tea and warm cider.

Light a fire

This hack will only work if you have a fireplace or wood stove inside your home. This could work outside, but it is very rare that people will go outside to light a fire when it’s freezing cold. To perform this, all you have to do is turn on a light, or throw wood into your fireplace or woodstove. If you don’t have a fireplace or a wood stove, you can use candles for this. It won’t have as big of an impact, but it will change the temperature.

Put your clothes in the dryer

We all know that the dryer dries our clothes, and we all love that warm feeling they get when they come out. Putting the clothes you plan on wearing that day in the dryer for 10 or 15 minutes before you put them on will make them warm and toasty. This works especially good if you’re someone who is always cold.

Prewarm gloves and boots

If you’re someone who is forced to be outside during the winter time, you can buy or make hand warmers to stick in them before you go out. The warmers won’t warm your entire body, but it will heat up your hands and feet.