• November 21Thanksgiving Break!!!!!

We’re Back!

Daniel Schafer, Sponsor/Editor

…But we never left.  In fact, The Knight Times is one of the longest-running student journalism projects in the state.  Over the years, it has taken on many shapes, formats, and media, including the recent introduction of the official Knight Times website, www.theknighttimes.com.  Yet, for this year’s staff, the goal of creating a print version of the school newspaper, available four times throughout the year, became a high priority.  Most of our staff felt that while technology, namely the website, is the most accessible form of communication for today’s students, having a print version would still be beneficial.  That is why this year’s staff has been working hard to produce not only a website that Knights can be proud of, but a quarterly print version as well.

This year’s Knight Times staff is quite young, after losing several members to graduation.  Returning are co-editors Kariah White and Jashawn Banks, who are responsible for making layout decisions and designing the website as well as writing their own stories and columns.  Sophomores Daisha Spiece, LeAnn Scrogham, and Anthony Wheeler return for their second year of writing, and their experience will help with the ten new staff members, including nine freshmen.  These freshmen are looking forward to establishing a new identity for the paper along with the veterans on staff, and include Rachel Frankenreiter, Ayarri Minor, Natalie Swink, Erica Thompson, Celina Russell, Lauren Keesecker, Kaitlynn Bourne, Halee Lane, and Trinity Gilbert.  Senior Andrea Abney will bring several years of experience on the yearbook staff with her into her first year in Journalism.

With this influx of youth and talent, several changes have been made to the scope and writing of the news for our fellow Knights.  You can expect to see monthly columns that highlight recipes and food ideas, local restaurant reviews, video game and music reviews, and a new advice column, “Ask Daisha.”  There will be coverage of school events, sports and extracurricular activities, as well as stories about things going on in the community.  We have also added an awards section, where we will highlight the efforts of students, athletes, teachers, and ROTC cadets, as well as the Optimist’s Club Senior Scholar of the Month.  There will be a year-long fictional piece that will leave readers on the edge of their seats, as well as interactive polls, calendars, and photos updated weekly to highlight and showcase our fellow Knights.

We look forward to covering another exciting year of school at Spotsylvania High.  GO KNIGHTS!