Dear Freshman

Take it from someone who knows just as much as you.

Faith Sterna

Dear Freshman,

We were all once in your shoes, but here I am, four years later, writing to you ( you’re lucky). Here are some lessons you’re probably going to learn in high school that as seniors, we think are important for you to learn. It’s ok, you most likely won’t listen to the advice anyways, but you can’t say I didn’t warn you.

I hope you enjoyed your freshman year and it was everything it hoped it would be, because this was your easiest year. It just gets tougher from here on out. Secondly, I’d like to address your maturity. Now, whether you’d like to admit it or not, you’re immature. You’ll see, just wait til your 18 and reflecting on your high school years like me right now.

You’re  going to make mistakes because you’re a human and you should learn from them. You grow so much as a person in high school and really learn who you are. Be yourself and don’t let anyone pressure you to be anyone but you. Also, you should learn how to not care about people’s opinions. You know why seniors look like hobos all the time? It’s because it took them four years to learn to not care what people think about them.

Enjoy being a kid, just don’t be a stupid one. Once your senior year hits, adulthood is upon you and you have to pay taxes and fill out a FAFSA (trust me they aren’t  fun). You’ll also be able to be tried as an adult soon and if you want your teachers to respect you, act like one.

As ridiculous as your parents can be, enjoy them while you can. Once you turn 18, they aren’t responsible for you legally and you’ll (hopefully) be heading off to college. Speaking of responsibilities, if you think you have it tough now, just wait til you have a job and have to balance school, social activities, sports, and applying to colleges. Just a hint, it’s super overwhelming, good luck.

Well freshmen, I hope you maybe learned something and consider yourself warned. High school is nothing like the real world, so good luck.