Filed under News Briefs

Knight News for November 1, 2013

Important Dates and Sporting Events

November 1 – Basket Bingo – 5pm

November 1 – Boys Varsity Football @ James Monroe – 7:30pm

November 2 – SAT testing

November 2 – VHSL Theater competition @ James Monroe

November 2 – SpotsyFest @ SHS – 5:30pm to 7pm

November 4 – End of 1st 9 weeks grading period

November 5 – No school for students – Teacher workday

November 6 – SHS Talent Show auditions after school

November 7 – SHS Talent Show auditions after school

November 13 – Parent-Teacher Conference Night – 6pm to 8pm

November 23 – Spotsylvania Marching Knights Craft Show – 9am to 5pm

Student News:

Congratulations to the following field hockey players for being Selected 2nd Team All Conference: Goalie Amber Cox, Forward Kali Lynch and Sweeper Kirsten Haynes. Your hard work and determination this year has shown and we are all very proud of you!

Congratulations and High Five’s all around to the Knights Cross Country Team.  Gutsy races and big PR’s earned the Knights a third place finish at yesterday’s Conference meet and a trip to the Regional Meet. Varsity runners include: Kyle Newton, Sawyer Czarnecki, Alberto Mejia, Corbin Holladay, James De la Rama, Michael Light & Ivan Harris. Shout outs also to Haylee McGuire and Lauren Simpson for finishing in the top ten at Conference and qualifying to run in the Regional meet next Wednesday. Way to go Knights!!!!

The SHS Theatre Department presents the One-Act play Savage/Love by Sam Shepard & Joseph Chaikin on Friday, November 1st at 7 p.m. in the SHS auditorium. Tickets are $5 at the door.

The SHS Donation Drive, sponsored by the Athletic Boosters, will run from Monday, October 28 through Sunday, November 3rd. The hours to drop off donations will be Monday – Friday, 2pm to 6pm; on Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 5pm. The Donation drop off area will be located in the SHS front parking lot. The purpose of the donation drive is raise extra cash for SHS athletic programs and support Goodwill’s mission to help people with barriers to employment. So, clean out your closets and attics; tell your friends and neighbors. The more we collect, the more we earn. Start bringing in your items now and the Athletic Boosters will store your items until the event begins. You cann drop off your items anytime during school hours, 7am to 4pm. Please no large furniture, large appliances, TVs or exercise equipment. We appreciate your support!

Attention Sophomores, Juniors & Seniors – the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery exam – commonly known as the ASVAB, will be given here at Spotsy on the morning ofNovember 22nd. The cost is free, but there are only 80 slots available.  Sign up early in the School Counseling Dept. if interested.

The Chorus Department will be hosting the Annual Variety Show on Friday, November 15th. If you want to audition for a spot in the show, come to the Chorus Room after school on Nov. 6th OR Nov. 7th to try out! See Mrs. Peters for more details!

The Spotsylvania High School Marching Knights Band will be hosting a Craft Show at Spotsy on Saturday, November 23rd from 9am to 5pm. There will be door prizes, concessions, a bake sale, crafters and vendors. This is a good time to get some of your Christmas shopping done before the holiday rush. Admission is $3. Children under 12 are free. For more information, contact Gina @ [email protected]

All Soccer boys conditioning will be held Fridays at 3pm on the practice pitch.

Student Volunteers needed at Robert E. Lee Elementary to work with elementary age students and younger siblings from 6:00 – 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 7, 2013. Contact Joyce Torres, for more information and to sign up! [email protected]

Attention Spotsylvania High School Class of 2014, Students & Parents, SHS has important upcoming Graduation information to share with you. Click this link to find out more: http://www.messagefromjostens.com/SpotsylvaniaHighSchoolGraduationProductsCapandGownOrderDays

Be a Princess for a Day on January 25th from 2pm to 4pm at Courtland High School. This event is sponsored by the CHS DECA. Your princess will design your crown and royal jewelry while she writes her very own fairytale. Come dressed for the occasion and you will be eligible for door prizes. Space is limited so please pre-register for the event by e-mailing them as [email protected] and indicate if you want to be a princess for the day. The cost is $5 for your princess if you pre-register and pay $6 on the day of the event. Adults are free! All profits from this event will be donated to the Fredericksburg Hope House. If you need more information, please contact Jenee Pins at 898-2069.

Courtland High School’s DECA is also sponsoring the Santa Pancake Breakfast and Holiday Craft Fair on December 14th. Breakfast will be served from 9am to 11:15am and the Craft Fair will be open from 9am to 3pm. To purchase tickets and more information about the event: Send an email to [email protected] or contact Jenee Pins or Terri Palmer at 898-2069.

The Professional Barber Institute is offering day and evening, full or part-time classes. Call 540-710-5600 to make an appointment or stop by 10008 Southpoint Parkway in Fredericksburg. Monthly payment plans are available and High School Graduates are welcome. New careers start here.

Attention ALL students & parents… Would you like text reminders sent directly to you? Then GRAB YOUR PHONES and follow the simple steps below to sign up for Mrs. Ballard’s, SHS Career Coach messages. Enter this number: (571) 350-3213  Text this message: @careercoa  (no ch) and/or follow Mrs. Ballard on Twitter @CareerCoachCara to get the latest news about our monthly featured field trips, college campus tours, financial aid workshops, scholarships, job opportunities, Career Cafe’ Info, guest speakers, community events (i.e. college night) and more!

Career Coach Center

HOURS: T,W,TH

9-5 P.M.and by appointments

Cara Ballard, M.Ed.

Germanna Community College

SHS Career Coach

(540) 582-3882 ext. 5489

[email protected]

College Nights in Virginia: November 1-15, 2013: ECMC (Educational Credit Management Corporation) has organized College Nights in Virginia every year since 2007. This year, 27 sites across the Commonwealth will host College Nights and provide opportunities for students and families to learn about planning and paying for college. All events are open to the public.

COLLEGE NIGHT: Wednesday, November 6th from 7-9 [email protected] Orange County High School.

COLLEGE NIGHT: Wednesday, November 13th from 6-8 PM @ Louisa County High School.

Pizza and prizes – Join us before the presentation begins for pizza and soda, and register to win a $500 scholarship!

Presentations – Gain valuable insight from higher education professionals about:

·        How going to college can change your life

You have probably heard people tell you that going to college is important, but we will provide a brief set of facts to prove the point.

·        Choosing the right college

Learn what to consider when selecting a college. Whether you are interested in a traditional four-year college, a community college, or a trade and vocational college, hear about your options and how to decide which is right for you. We will also cover the steps involved in the college application process.

·        Understanding the financial aid process

Think you can’t afford to attend college? Learn about financial aid programs and the importance of filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

·        Scholarship searches and scams

Learn how to develop a plan to search for scholarships, and find out how to spot the warning signs of scholarship scams.

·        Scholarship drawing

At the end of the evening, find out if you’ve won one of the four $500 scholarships that will be awarded by a random drawing at each College Night event.

College Visits to SHS

Radford Online Admissions –December 16th @ 8am – Complete an on-line application by Dec. 2nd (including transcript assnd text scores) and know your acceptance status by December 16rh.