Ask Daisha

Daisha Spiece, Writer

What’s the difference between “puppy” love and “real” love?

Puppy love is a lot like being in lust instead of being in love. It’s all about the appearance of a person more than who they are on the inside. It’s being with someone so you’re not alone and just having someone to show off while it isn’t a serious relationship. Real love isn’t something you can explain with any amount of words. You know the love is real when you’d do everything for that person, you put them before yourself even if you know you shouldn’t. When their feelings are just as valid as yours and the last thing you want to do is hurt theirs. When the two of you become one and go through the ups and downs of life together without thinking twice about if this is the right thing to do.

Someone in my family recently passed away and we were very close.. How do I get through it?

To be completely honest with you, there is nothing anyone could do or say to make the healing go by faster; only to try and make it hurt a little less. Some days get harder and some days get easier. You’ll have your moments where something will remind you of them and for awhile it might bring you down, but eventually when you think of them it’ll make you smile. As time goes on you need to keep doing the normal routine you go through, the absence of that person will make a difference but try and keep everything else the same because the more that changes the more you have to adapt and that will be more difficult. People that say the typical things like “They’re in a better place” or “They’re with you in your heart” will get annoying but you have to remember that they are only trying to comfort you and don’t know what else to say. Only time can heal a loss and while the times goes by you just have to find distractions to fill the void.