Wrestling with Destiny

Spotsylvania+wrestling+team+at+a+dual+match+against+the+Chancellor+Chargers+on+December+14th.+
Spotsylvania wrestling team at a dual match against the Chancellor Chargers on December 14th.

Natalie Swink, Staff Writer

Spotsylvania’s wrestling team is starting off the year with a bang. They had great success at their tournament last weekend. This year Spotsy is welcoming first-year head coach Gary Woods. He also has been an assistant coach for two years. “I think the most rewarding part is getting to watch each wrestler grow on the mat and develop into young men,” Woods response when asked what the most rewarding part of coaching is. Coach Woods has been involved in wrestling since the tender age of five years old.

“To be successful in future seasons, we need to focus on getting better in the offseason and work on the small details”  the wrestling team is coming off of a good finish to last season. There are also a lot of returning wrestlers, who continued wrestling in the offseason.  This season they spotsy wrestling team is striving for a regional title.  “We look to build off our success each season going forward to be able to compete with the best wrestlers in the state.” Said Coach Woods. Work ethic is a very important piece to achieving success; Coach Woods said when asked what the team’s strengths are,  “The wrestling team is a group of smart athletes who strive to be successful. They are very receptive to the coaches and what they have to say. Each day they are getting better and better.”

JV development is a very important aspect in stabilizing talent for the varsity team. The primary goal of JV is to prepare them for the challenge of varsity. “JV works on a lot of the basics; while introducing the athletes to the system and terminology that they will be exposed to when they get on the varsity team.” Woods response to being asked how the development of the JV team affects the varsity team.

Coach Woods said that the upperclassmen have a significant impact on the rest of the team, and they show leadership. “These leaders work well together and balance each other out. If one is having a bad day, another will step up and fill in the gaps. “They are very driven to assist the other members of the team.” Coach Woods said when asked how they lead and how it affects the team. Hopefully, the Spotsy wrestling team can wish the senior leaders a farewell with a regional title! Good luck to the wrestling team in their endeavors in the rest of their season, GO KNIGHTS!