NFL Playoff Overdrive

Matthew Genalo, Staff Writer

The Wild Card games should’ve been a clear indication as to how these 2017 playoffs would go. The Rams were upset by the Falcons as they struggled to score, losing 26-13. The Saints were able to complete their three game sweep of the Panthers winning 31-26. After an interesting first round of playoffs, The divisional matchups may have been even better. In the NFC the two games that were very closely matched were between the sixth seed Atlanta Falcons and the first seed Philadelphia Eagles while the other match was between the second seed Minnesota Vikings and the fourth seed New Orleans Saints. The Eagles’ defense was able to shut down the Falcons’ offense providing them with a 15-10 victory. The Eagles’ proved that they’re still capable of winning without their starting quarterback Carson Wentz. The Vikings and Saints played one of the closest games of the year. After being down 17-0 at halftime, the Saints miraculously came back and took the lead 24-23 with 25 seconds left to play. The game seemed over when a horrible missed tackle by the Saints’ safety led to a Vikings 61 yard touchdown on the last play of the game lifting the Vikings over the Saints 29-24. The NFC championship was shaping up to be a great game between the Eagles and Vikings, but the game was a complete blowout with the Eagles winning 38-7. This is the Eagles first appearance in the Super Bowl since 2004.

In the AFC, the first round of playoffs had two close games between the Titans and Chiefs and the Bills and Jaguars. The Titans were down 21-3 at halftime and were able to storm back to win the game 22-21. The Bills first playoff game since 1998 was very close, but dismal. The only touchdown of the game was scored at the end of the third quarter on 4th and goal by the Jaguars which lead them to a 10-3 victory over the Bills. The Divisional Round was much more high scoring than the wild card. The Jaguars were able to upset the Steelers with a ridiculous score of 45-42. The Steelers were able to score 42 points on arguably the best defense in the league, but were still unable to get the job done. The Titans on the other hand were not able to upset the Patriots falling victim to New England 35-14. The Jaguars and Patriots faced off for a great AFC Championship game coming down to the wire. The Jaguars led 20-10 at the beginning of the 4th quarter but the Patriots were able to come back and take the lead 24-20. The Patriots were then able to stop the Jaguars offense and convert on a 3rd down run to seal the game. The  New England Patriots are going to the Super Bowl two years in a row to defend their title against the Philadelphia Eagles.