Girls Soccer

The Spotsylvania girls varsity team in their game against Chancellor last week. The picture is taken after a goal is scored.

Natalie Swink, Staff Writer

This spring season is full of kicks! The Spotsylvania girls soccer team for the 2017- 18 school year so far has a 4-3-3 record. The team consists of 7 freshman, which is an unusually high number. Along with seven freshmen, there is almost an entirely new coaching staff. Kylie McKeen, head Varsity coach, Katie Wine assistant Varsity coach, and Dannis Romero Junior Varsity coach.

While a new coaching staff can be challenging, “The girls are doing well and bonding better than ever.” Says Kendall Loveless. Coach Kylie holds the girls to a very high standard and expects them to represent their program, and school respectfully on and off the field. She also expects them to work hard, hold themselves and their teammates accountable, and to be respectful to everyone. Coach Kylie is putting a new spin on captains this season. “There are no set captains every game. I chose captains based off of leadership, hard work, and development from the last game or the last practice.” This gives all the girls a chance to work hard and hold themselves accountable to be captain.

The development of the JV team plays a crucial part in sustaining the varsity team. “The goal is to develop Jv players enough to play on varsity junior and senior year, or sooner.” JV players need to develop enough to be pulled up to varsity throughout the season to help supplement the varsity team if need be. This year coach Dannis is doing a great job in developing the JV team. The 2018 season has been the best JV girls soccer season in the history of the school. Their record being, 4-3-3 as well.      

This season is Coach Kylies first as a head coach. She graduated from Spotsylvania High School in 2015 and played soccer for SHS as well. Kylie enjoys being a head coach; she says the most rewarding part of coaching is “Watching players grow and develop as people and as athletes.”  She enjoys explicitly watching players confidence grow. Wishing the best of luck to the Lady Knights on the rest of their season, GO KNIGHTS!