The First Round Sparks Surprise

The 2018 NHL Playoffs started off with eight exciting series including two sweeps and one game seven. (Photo courtesy of NHL.com)

Matthew Genalo, Staff Writer

The first round of playoffs has already had its shocking moments. With all the round 2 matchups decided already, there was only one game seven in the first round between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Boston Bruins. Boston had a 3-1 lead in the series but Toronto was able to claw its way back. The game seven started with an offensive outburst from both teams scoring 5 goals in the first period split 3-2 in the Bruins favor. The offense continued for the whole game as the game finished 7-4 Boston. The Washington Capitals lost both games at home against the Columbus Blue Jackets putting them in an early 0-2 hole, but won the next four games to end the series in six games 4-2. The Tampa Bay Lightning were able to handle the New Jersey Devils with little mistake, ending the series in just five games winning 4-1. The defending Stanley Cup Champions, Pittsburgh Penguins, had a wild series with the Philadelphia Flyers scoring a combined total of 43 goals in just 6 games. Pittsburgh moves on to round 2 as they continue to chase their three-peat. The President’s Trophy winners, Nashville Predators, eliminated the Colorado Avalanche in six games. Nashville seemed to struggle more than anticipated against Colorado, but they ended the series in style with a 5-0 victory. The Winnipeg Jets’ fans continued their whiteout playoff tradition as the Jets were able to steamroll the Minnesota Wild in 5 games shutting them out in the last game on home ice. The Sharks and Golden Knights made easy work of their first round competitors completing the 4-0 sweeps. The Golden Knights continue to rewrite history becoming the first team in its inaugural season to sweep a team in the playoffs. The second round of the playoffs begin April 26th. The match-ups in the Eastern Conference include a much anticipated rematch between the Penguins and the Capitals and an Atlantic Division battle between the Lightning and the Bruins. The Western Conference match-ups are between the top two teams in the regular season, Jets and Predators, and the Golden Knights and Sharks.