NBA Playoff Buzz

Matthew Genalo, Staff Writer

The NBA playoffs has had some close series, and some not some close series. The first round consisted of two upsets, the Trailblazers losing to the Pelicans and the Thunder losing to the Jazz. The Trailblazers were able to secure a third seed spot which may have ended up being the death of them as they got swept by the sixth seed Pelicans. The Thunder were struggling all year long to find their way as a team and they couldn’t figure it out in the playoffs either as the Thunder lost the series to the Jazz 2-4. Some of the other noteworthy series from the first round were the Milwaukee Bucks versus Boston Celtics and Cleveland Cavaliers versus Indiana Pacers. The Cavaliers were able to beat the Pacers in game seven after a very back and forth series with multiple games ending in a one possession score. LeBron’s 45 points in game seven lead the Cavaliers to the second round. The Houston Rockets, Golden State Warriors, and Philadelphia 76ers all won their first round matchups 4-1 against the Minnesota Timberwolves, San Antonio Spurs, and Miami Heat respectively. In the second round, there was not a single series that lasted more than five games. There was only one sweep in the second round though between the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Toronto Raptors. Only two games were decided by one possession, one in overtime and one in regulation, and LeBron made sure to put both of those away with game winning shots. The Houston Rockets were able to breeze through the second round dropping only one game to the Utah Jazz, winning 4-1. The Golden State Warriors and the Boston Celtics also moved on to the semi finals winning four games to one. The Cavaliers are facing the injury plagued Boston Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals and the Houston Rockets are facing the NBA juggernauts, the Golden State Warriors, in the Western Conference Finals. The winners of those match-ups will face-off in the NBA Finals.