Filed under News, Top Stories

Autism Awareness Month

Schroeder Visuals

Schroeder Visuals

Almost 100 years ago the Autism Society made a nationwide attempt to promote autism awareness. April 2 is the national day. This month is dedicated to those who are facing ASD. The aim is to educate the public about Autism.

Autism is a developmental disability that is present from early childhood. It is characterized by difficulty in communicating and forming relationships with other people and in using language and abstract concepts. It is groups of complex disorders of brain development. Most signs of autism show up between the ages 2 and 3 years of age. 1 in 68 American children will be diagnosed with Autism. Scientist have found that there is not just one cause of autism, just like there is not one kind of autism. Each autism is unique, so there are different treatments for each disorder. Autism is one of the fastest growing disorders in in the U.S. Boys are five times more likely to be diagnosed with autism than girls. So far, scientist and researchers have no cure for these diseases but they are working as hard as they can to find a cure.

We can all help and support those with this disorder. You can contribute ideas by signing up for an e-newsletter, Autism Matter. Inform people of what autism is and let them know how they can help. Go check out the Online Autistic Carnival. Become involved in the National Autism Association’s Move Autism Forward to help people voice themselves. Follow an Autism self advocate blog or page. Volunteer at Autism benefit runs, dances, etc. Spotsylvania High School has a day for Autistic children called Little Feet Meet. Autistic children and Spotsylvania High students spend a day outside and play games and enjoy the day together. Autism does not just affect the kids, it also affects the parents and people around them.