• November 21Thanksgiving Break!!!!!

The Netflix Corner: Orange is the New Black

Andrea Abney, Writer

Orange is the New Black is a popular comedy Netflix show that consists of five seasons. The show first started filming on March 7th, 2013 and aired its first season on Netflix on July 11th, 2013. The show takes place in a federal penitentiary called Litchfield penitentiary in Litchfield, New York.  

The show is based off of the book Orange is the New Black: My Time in a Women’s Prison, written by Piper Kerman. She talks about how she spent fifteen months in a women’s prison for delivering a suitcase filled with drug money and what she experienced when she was doing her time. The book was published on April 6th, 2010.

The series is told in first person by a young woman named Piper Kerman (whose name is based off of the author’s name of the book, not the author’s character itself.) At first, Piper’s personality is an innocent person and is later revealed that she is greatly spoiled and can be manipulative at times. She is in the penitentiary for committing perjury and money laundering.

While she is doing her time in prison, Piper makes a few friends. Nicky Nichols, Red, Alex Vause, Taystee, Black Cindy, Big Boo and Janae Watson. She has a former best friend named Polly who she has been friends with ever since they met in college. As it becomes later in the series, she makes more friends as newcomers arrive at the prison and as old ones become slain or get released from the prison.

Piper also makes a few enemies while she is serving her sentence such as Pennsatucky, an inmate that she gets into a brawl with and causes severe bodily harm to her. At one point in time, Alex Vause was an enemy to Piper because she and Piper would constantly betray each other.

The story shows pieces of each inmate and guards backstory of before they went to prison or started working at the prison and why they ended up doing time or working in the prison and their experiences while they are inside the prison.  It also talks about brutality from the guards, betrayal by others, corruption, racial profiling and how messed up the prison system and court system is and gang activity. Some prisoners also make alliances with wardens for each of them to get what they need or to learn new information.

Orange is the New Black is very popular in Spotsylvania High School. The show has received a rating of 91% from Rotten Tomatoes and one of the most watched shows in America.