Thanksgiving Traditions

Back to Article
Back to Article

Thanksgiving Traditions

"THANKSGIVING TRADITIONS" written on a background filled with fall related trees

teamcoco.com

teamcoco.com

teamcoco.com

Jashawn Banks, Staff Editor

hanksgiving is a holiday celebrated all around the world like Canada, the United States, some of the Caribbean islands, and Liberia where individuals give thanks for the harvest and of the preceding year. Each year Americans in the U.S. celebrate the holiday on the fourth Thursday in November, and follow the old traditions of this holiday, but many have their own traditions that they follow now in this day and age.

The first tradition is traveling. According to National Geographic Kids, one of the best things about Thanksgiving is spending time with your family. In this time and age, many family members live all around the world and in different areas, which require traveling long distances to get to one another.  For most families this can either turn into one big happy road trip or a terrible long drive. But with all the traveling, Thanksgiving is included into being one of the most busiest holidays in this century.

The second tradition that people go by is The Feast. Eating dinner with the family is by far the most important and biggest part of the Thanksgiving holiday including traditional foods like mac and cheese, potatoes, stuffing, greens, ham, and of course turkey. Some traditional desserts include pecan pie, apple pie, pumpkin pie, and cake. Even though the prayers might be long and your aunts and uncles might get crazy, this will always be the most important part of the night.

Another tradition that people do is go to the football game. Before tv was invented in the 1950’s many people couldn’t watch the game from home, instead they had to go to the game in person in order to see it. But after the television was invented by, John Logie Baird, history was made. According to Evan Andrews of history.com, watching football on Thanksgiving might seem like a modern tradition, but Americans have been taking to the gridiron on Turkey Day since the 19th century, being one of the most watched games of the season. This is said because after the big course meal, many families gather around in the living room,with their bellies full, and watch the annual football game, which mainly includes the Dallas Cowboys or the Redskins. This usually ends the night with yelling, laughter, and anger. Along with the game, some families like mine this Thanksgiving went to the football game and tailgated. Tailgating at a football game is very fun even though it was cold, you are distracted from it by all of the entertaining people and the individuals you meet.

In conclusion, yeah Thanksgiving is not Christmas but you still celebrate with the gift of love and thanks, celebrate using the three traditions listed, to have one amazing night with the whole family, even people you didn’t know you were related to.