Painting a Better Tomorrow

For+students+who+go+above+and+beyond+their+pieces+are+shown+around+the+school.+There+is+a+case+with+many+art+pieces+in+commons+A+near+the+JROTC+hallway.+There+is+also+a+bulletin+board+dedicated+to+students+in+the+school+board+office.+To+see+these+pieces+and+many+more+you+can+follow+the+art+department%E2%80%99s+Instagram+page+%40spotsy_artclub+

For students who go above and beyond their pieces are shown around the school. There is a case with many art pieces in commons A near the JROTC hallway. There is also a bulletin board dedicated to students in the school board office. To see these pieces and many more you can follow the art department’s Instagram page @spotsy_artclub

Erica Thompson, Writer

During an interview Mrs. Laserna explained, “[Art is] more than just drawing and painting. It gives you a chance to express personality. For people who aren’t good at speaking with words art gives them a chance to express themselves.” Many extremely talented and creative students take art class in this school.

There are six different art levels. Art Level 1 sets the basic foundations of art. Level 2 uses higher level techniques than level 1 and uses more material. Level 3 art students work more with visual problem solving and has more independence over their material. Level 4 art class is composed of all seniors. In this level students are independent with choosing materials and their subject matter. To be in AP they must be extremely passionate about the class, and want either a portfolio for college or for themselves. This portfolio is student driven and by the end of the year must have 24 completed pieces. IB Visual Arts is a two year course. The class consists of a lot of writing and the history of art and artists.

All of these classes are currently working on projects. Level 2 is working on self portraits. The artists must draw themselves in a different time period or culture. Levels 3 and 4 must make family portraits using shoes. The different shoes represent different members of the family. AP art is working on concentrations that are made up of 12 pieces and all go along with a theme that have been picked by the students. IB level classes are working on comparative studies. They must make a slide show that has 25 slides that compare and contrast different artists along with their art pieces.

Mrs. Laserna says that she expects, “ Growth, evolution in work [and going] outside of [their] comfort zone.” She was also asked how do students develop skills when they don’t have any previous art experience “[Art is] a learned skill” She also said that on the first day of school students are given an assignment. At the end of the year they are given the same assignment and the two pieces are compared to show improvement.